On Jan. 1, 2014 Freda Moon wrote an article in The New York Times called 36 Hours in Chicago. She starts the article off by saying, "Chicago is a city that changes noticeably with the seasons. It is endlessly beautiful in the warm months, when the sidewalks transform into cafes, the Lakefront Trail becomes a Divvy Bike highway and the beaches along Lake Michigan might be mistaken for Miami. As the temperatures fall, the city changes from a playground to a cultural promised land — a place of fine and varied food, inventive theater and one of the country’s great live music scenes. From the historic high-rises of the Gold Coast to regal Hyde Park, from Bronzeville to Boystown, from the Indian and Puerto Rican enclaves of Devon Avenue and Humboldt Park, respectively, to the bohemian barrios of Logan Square and Pilsen, Chicago demands hard choices. It rarely disappoints."
Here are a few of her highlights…..
1. Russian Tea Time, 77 East Adams Street;russianteatime.com. Art Institute of Chicago, artic.edu.
2. Signature Lounge, 875 North Michigan; signatureroom.com.
3. Grace, 652 West Randolph; grace-restaurant.com.
4. Au Cheval, 800 West Randolph; auchevalchicago.com. Maria’s Packaged Goods and Community Bar, 960 West 31st Street;community-bar.com. Old Town School of Folk Music, 4544 North Lincoln; oldtownschool.org.
5. Bang Bang, 2051 North California; bangbangpie.com. Bow Truss,bowtruss.com. Chicago Cultural Center, 312-744-6630.
6. Sauce and Bread Kitchen, 6338-40 Clark; sauceandbread.com. ThePaper Machete, 4802 North Broadway; thepapermacheteshow.com.
7. Revolution Brewing, 3340 North Kedzie; revbrew.com. Map Room,1949 North Hoyne; maproom.com. Hopleaf, 5148 North Clark;hopleaf.com.
8. Ruxbin, 851 North Ashland; ruxbinchicago.com. Fat Rice, 2957 West Diversey; eatfatrice.com.
9. Constellation, 3111 North Western Avenue; constellation-chicago.com.Lookingglass Theater Company, lookingglasstheatre.org.
10. Underground Wonder Bar, 710 North Clark;undergroundwonderbar.com.
11. Maxwell Street Market, 800 South Desplaines. Yan Bang Cai, 228 West Cermak; yanbangcaichicago.com.
12. Reckless Records, reckless.com. Logan Hardware, logan-hardware.com. Dusty Groove, dustygroove.com. Modern Cooperative,moderncooperative.com.
The amazing part is I have lived in Chicago off and on for most of my life and majority of these places I have never been to yet the list goes on...
From concerts, to jazz clubs, music in the parks, bike trails along the lake, major sports teams, and every sport know to man is played here. The bottom line is that this is a great city and people love it hear because of its people, beauty, and endless things to do and get involved in…. including the weather….